Thursday, October 3, 2019

Recap: SPX 2019


Small Press Expo 2019 wrapped last month and it was a great show that celebrated 25 years of America's Premiere Independent Cartooning and Comic Arts Festival.

It was fun to have Kickstarter be a sponsor and they gave me a goody bag of stuff including nice book stands and a balloon to showcase my two past Kickstarter projects (Curls Book Collection and 100 Sad Fish).

I stepped away from the table for a bit to get Raina Telgmeier to sign her book, Ghosts. Her line was limited to 200 people and only one item could be signed with no sketches. Exciting to see her and her career take off, but we all knew that back when I attended my first SPX back in 2004.

Every inch on every table was covered in fabulous comics and creativity. It was refreshing to be tabled next to someone who was experiencing her first SPX. It's a much different show than it was a handful of years ago at the old hotel. I have fun memories from that time period as well, but things are always changing and progressing. I enjoy seeing the talent at SPX each and every year and hope to be back again!

Thanks to Cynthia Tenicela for the photograph. Thanks to everyone who stopped to say hi and look at the Curls Studio table.

No comments: