Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Curls: Michael Jackson Tribute


Many of you have asked me if I was going to do anything in tribute to Michael Jackson after his death last month. It took me a long time to process everything surrounding his death... finally tonight I felt ready to work on this Curls comic strip in honor of MJ.

For those of you who do not know, Michael Jackson is a public figure whom I considered one of my favorite celebrities and whom I talk about almost weekly on my radio show. I know the arguments you could say about him, but through his life and career, I found him to be one of the most entertaining individuals on the planet. I am amazed with everything in his life (the good, the bad, and the ugly). From the Jesus Juice to Neverland's Zoo to Michael's art collection to his Super Bowl performance and all of MJ's antics... I have to say I am a fan. He entertained me.

Musically, there is no denying he was a great. He was a creative visionary in more than one media. I hope you enjoyed my comic strip of Curls tagging the wall in memory of MJ. May he rest in peace. I will always believe in magic with you, Michael.

Here are some other times MJ has appeared in my work:


I recently rediscovered an image I drew of Michael Jackson for Project Resolution in 2005. The prompt was 'Jack-O Lantern' and it's awesome. You can go back in time and see the flyers I illustrated to advertise the shows by going to the Project Res website and clicking on past shows. I did most of them between the years 2003 and 2005.


Michael Jackson has appeared in Curls before. This illustration of him holding Blanket on the balcony was published on Thursday, November 21, 2002 in VCU's student newspaper, The Commonwealth Times.

No comments: