Monday, April 9, 2018

Recap: DC Web Fest Year 6


This past Friday I attended my first DC Web Fest and had a invigorating time. My day started out at the AT&T Forum for Technology, Entertainment, and Policy. Lunch was provided from Fresh Connections Catering and then I attended the podcasting panel before leading the "Writer's Write-In Script & Blog selection chat" with Lauren Brown (Fashion Grunge) and Barrett Smith (The Morning After Zine). At the panel I was surprised to meet Dan Silverman, the creator of PoPville, the blog I nominated in the awards category. The conversation was very insightful and relatable to how we began and where technology is leading us in the future.


I also had the opportunity to experience AR technology and game demos.


After the panel a bus was scheduled to take us to the The Australian Embassy. The bus was running late, so after twenty minutes to waiting outside, I mentioned that we should walk. Only one person took me up on that, a man named Scooter, who I have not seen in probably eight years -- back when I was a guest on his DC Geeks podcast. We ended up arriving when the bus arrived, so I'm glad we get to burn some calories and enjoy our time outside.

It was cool to attend the International Screening Block -- we saw fantastic short films from around the globe. Alice in Paris was the first we saw and it is a delightful series that reminded me of Amélie. We were also treated to delicious food.

The DC Web Fest continued on Saturday with more speakers and an awards ceremony.

Congratulations to Otessa for creating DC Web Fest -- thank you to the volunteers, sponsors, staff, attendees, and speakers.

No comments: