Monday, September 24, 2012

Recap: Baltimore Comic-Con 2012


On August 8 and 9, 2012 Curls Studio experienced another successful Baltimore Comic-Con. The weekend was filled with fun and the opportunity to meet new and old friends at the convention.

One highlight was signing "Topps" creator cards created by a fan. Above is a Instagram image Joe took of a card. There was also another card of me with our winning image from National Doughnut Day.

On Saturday night a bunch of us got together at Pratt Street Ale House and worked on a jam piece sketch. It was great to connect with other cartoonists.

We did interviews with Fantastic Forum and Drew "Iron Man" Crowder. I got to participate on the "Team Cul de Sac" panel with many other wonderful contributors to the book and editor, Chris Sparks. You can listen to the audio here: http://carolynandjoeshow.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/team-cul-de-sac-panel-at-baltimore-comic-con-12/

The only item I purchased was the con-exclusive "2012 Baltimore Comic-Con Yearbook," made to celebrate 15 years of Liberty Meadows with several different artists takes on Frank Cho's characters. I wish I had known or been asked to contribute because Liberty Meadows is certainly an early influence on my work. I first met Frank Cho at an appearance he did with Playboy Playmate Tiffany Taylor at a comic shop in Georgetown while I was in my college years. My comic, Curls, was even likened to Liberty Meadows by a reviewer at Starburst Magazine. Congrats to Frank Cho for all those years of fun!

You can view more photos on the Curls Studio Facebook page - and be sure to "Like" us while you're at it: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151146769547381.467502.50763422380&type=1

We look forward to exhibiting next year. I already reserved a table, so we hope to see you there for sure. Mark your calendar for September 7 and 8, 2013.

No comments: