Friday, February 18, 2011

garmentDISTRICT presents Light It Up


Curls Studio is participating in LIGHT IT UP hosted by garmentDISTRICT opening today, February 18 from 6-10 PM at 1005 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC.


I created two original inked illustrations in 5" x 7" frames specifically for this event. The art shows Dean Casanova and Roxy Monroe with their cat, Black Magic. They are Curls Studio's creator-owned "Black Magic Tales" comic characters. The art is also marked in red with a "Roxy and Dean" one-of-a-kind stamp.

View the gallery and boutique featuring local designers with entertainment at the neighboring LUX Lounge tonight.

Hours of Operation - Boutique, Lounge, Sewing Room
Wednesday-Friday: 5-9 PM
Saturday: 12-9 PM
Sunday: 12-6 PM
Presidents Day, Monday 2/21: 12-9 PM

garmentDISTRICT: a temporary retail and art installation will be open February 18 thru March 20, 2011.

Carolyn Belefski - Artist Statement
My comic art is exciting and fun because it revolves around the creator-owned characters Curls Studio owns. I think and focus on their personalities, movements and what makes them who they are. The art represents the story and each illustration shows the viewer the character's attitude and reactions to the world around them.

One of my top goals is an artist is to entertain and make people happy. I set out to produce a reaction from the viewer and evoke the emotive qualities of the character. Many people these days are loosing touch with the qualities of being human, so I believe it is important for a viewer to feel something and experience a story thru my art.


Carolyn Belefski - Influences
Everything I have ever seen or experienced in life goes into what I create, however cartoon animation is a major influence on my comics style. I enjoy the work and creations of Chuck Jones, Vincent van Gogh, Marc Chagall, Walt Disney, Jeff Smith, Paul Reubens, Tim Burton, Bruce Timm, Jean Shepherd and many other storytellers.

No comments: