Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Recap: Baltimore Comic-Con 2010


This past weekend was Baltimore Comic-Con, Curls Studio's most enjoyable and friendly tour stop. Every year keeps getting better. This year I noticed many people getting connected with the Twitter hashtag #BCC2010 and with the power of Twitter in general. A big thank you to everyone who stopped by our table. We really appreciate it! I also want to extend the thank you to show organizer, Marc Nathan, for putting together a great team and a great show.


Curls Studio started the day in search of our table location and realized we were right at the front of Artist Alley, across from Image Comics. Someone mentioned we were the ambassadors of Artist Alley, which felt pretty cool. I really liked our table location and I'm happy about having that spot. We premiered our latest trade paperback, Black Magic Tales, Volume 1: The Adventures of Roxy & Dean, World Famous Criminals (available for purchase online here) and gave away some free Kick Ass movie posters for those who said the special phrase I posted on Twitter.


A bunch of people posed for photos with Toast from the Curls Webcomic. Toast got a lot of love this past weekend and he's now resting in his toaster and enjoying the good life. Toast posed with all types of people including the Joker, young girls who purchased Kid Roxy last year, a group of zombies, fans and creators.


We got to catch up with Adam from The Dollar Bin and he gave us copies of the anthology we did a three page Black Magic Tales story in called The Dollar Bin: Friends Assembled, Volume 3. It was our anniversary of meeting at Baltimore Comic-Con, four years ago.


On Saturday, I was interviewed by Fantastic Forum, a weekly 30 minute TV series dedicated to comics, and look forward to seeing their Baltimore Comic-Con episode.

On Sunday, Joe continued his artist hands sketchbook series, which you can see on his Twitpic feed. He gathered sketchs from Amanda Conner, Cliff Chiang, David Mack, Paul Pope, Richard Starkings, Tim Sale and many more. I also started my first ever convention sketchbook and got sketches from Jimmy Palmiotti, Andrew Pepoy, Carla Speed McNeil, Thom Zahler, Jim Coon, Terry Flippo, and Reilly Brown.



I did two sketch commissions of Layla LeGette from The Legettes. The Legettes seemed to make more of a splash this year. I hope this continues!

Most of Saturday was spent at the table, but on Sunday I ventured out to visit Amanda Conner's table so she could sign a handful of Barbie Fashion comics I have had since childhood. Barbie Fashion was one of the first comics I read and they used to be mailed to my house. When I was young I never payed attention to who worked on comics because I focused on the characters. About a year ago, I was doing some cleaning and found my issues of Barbie Fashion. I got excited because I remembered how much I liked the comic and sat down with them to look at the memories and noticed Amanda Conner's name! It is such a discovery to realize she worked on Barbie Fashion back then and now she is a top comic book artist! I also gave Amanda a copy of Magic Bullet.

Simone & Ajax is a book I was introduced to at Baltimore and I'm in the middle of reading it now. I don't know why I have never heard of it before because it is certainly something I would like. In addition, it was nominated for a Harvey award and seems to be getting a lot of recognition, but maybe being exposed to it this past weekend was good timing for me. I got to talk with the creator Andrew Pepoy and he is a really funny guy and told me some fun prom stories. Everyone should check out Simone & Ajax!



Joe and I got the chance to meet Mike & Laura Allred. They were very nice and we got to take photos with them. We are happy to have had the opportunity to meet them. At the very end of the convention, we met "our new boss" Reese, Marc Nathan's newborn son. Very adorable. After the convention we had dinner with some old and new friends at James Joyce Irish Pub. The whole weekend was a blast and I'm already looking forward to next year.

To view more images, visit the Curls Studio fan page on Facebook and go to photos: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Curls-Studio/50763422380. Become a fan and "like" us while you are at it. Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am extremely impressed together with your writing abilities and also with the format in your weblog.
Is this a paid topic or did you customize it your self?

Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon
to peer a great blog like this one today.
.

my homepage - Forum Rc Boat Indonesia