Sunday, March 21, 2010
March is Women's History Month
The above image is my Sketch Before Sleep entry (March 20, 2010) of Jackie Ormes, first female African American cartoonist.
Since March is Women's History Month, I want to know what female artists people are inspired by. On Twitter, my personal Facebook page, and the Curls Studio Facebook Fan Page I posted:
"March is Women's History Month - What female artists/comic artists are some of YOUR inspirations?" (Some female illustrators I enjoy are Elizabeth Watasin, Amanda Conner, Lauren Faust, and Raina Telgemeier.)
Some of the responses I have received included:
- "Jill Thompson and Amanda Conner."
- "Georgia O'Keeffe is the first artist I can remember "knowing": her history her art her life. But to this day when I need inspiration I turn to Cassatt's (japanese-esq) prints....."
- "Always loved Julie Doucet-very eye opening for a teen in the sticks."
- "Wendy Pini. Back in the 70's and early 80's her strips for Elfquest were awesome. She was the first female comic artist I knew of."
- "Kiki Smith, Annette Messager, Eva Hesse and the Louises Nevelson and Bourgeois!"
- "julie klausner, linda barry, cristy road just to name a few!"
Please comment below if you have any female artists you are influenced by and spread the word of Women's History Month.