Monday, February 17, 2014

Carabeo Interview with Washington City Paper


Mike Rhode posted his interview (Meet a Local Comics Writer and Filmmaker: A Chat with Joe Carabeo) today for Washington City Paper. Here is a sample of the interview followed by a link to the full interview.

Washington City Paper: What type of comic work or cartooning do you do?

Joe Carabeo: I'm a writer and creator for Curls Studio with fellow creator and illustrator Carolyn Belefski.

WCP: How do you do it? Traditional pen and ink, computer or a combination?

JC: As a writer I have a pretty short and simple answer to that question, but I'm not gonna go down that route. I'm also a filmmaker AND I also love to read and watch interviews, these interviews through the years have basically become my teachings.


I remember recently just watching an interview with one of my biggest inspirations, the director and writer Billy Wilder, in which is he talks about how writing to him is hard work, coming up with the idea is fun and exciting and it's like the first time you fall in love, but then having to sit down and flesh it out and make it real, is hard damn work, just like any real relationship.

I even remember Gerard Way talking about writing and describing it as ripping your own guts out and spreading it out on the table and trying to find something from your insides that you can make into a story. I've always found those descriptions of being a writer the closest and the most relatable to me.

Continue to read the full interview here: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/visual-arts/2014/02/17/meet-a-local-comics-writer-and-filmmaker-a-chat-with-joe-carabeo/

No comments: