Tuesday, October 28, 2008

24 Hour Comics Day 2008

On Saturday, October 18, 2008 Joe and I celebrated 24 Hour Comics Day at Laughing Ogre Comics at University Mall in Fairfax, Virginia. We started at noon and ended at noon on Sunday. It was not too exhausting, but I was having trouble focusing in the beginning. Once we hit dinner time I was okay. The store brought us pizza, drinks, and snacks. They were very accommodating.

24 Hour Comics Day is an annual challenge, created by Scott McCloud, for cartoonists to produce a 24 page comic book written, drawn, and completed in 24 consecutive hours. I am proud to say that we did it... all 24 pages. I completed the cover later, but all 24 pages are done and that was the goal. We even got certificates when we finished!


Joe and I did a Black Magic Tales story called To The Moon. We plan to first sent it in to the Ohio State University Cartoon Research Library to become a part of the 24 Hour Comics Day Collection then we plan to sell it at upcoming conventions and on the Curls Studio Etsy Store. Below are three pages that we selected to show on the blog.




I was interviewed by Michael Tolosa while working on the comic at the McDonald's next door. This was during the first few hours when I needed to focus. I worked from around 4 PM to 7 PM there. The rest of my time was spent at the comic store. Below is a link to his film.

24 Hour Comics Day - Curls Studio
Carolyn Belefski of Curls Studio explains what it’s like to participate in the 24 Hour Comics Day and what she expects to get out of the experience. She spoke to me from the McDonald’s adjacent to Laughing Ogre Comics at University Mall in Fairfax, Virginia on Saturday, October 18, 2008.

No comments: